La Ermita Suites

Monument Hotel

History

A unique site in a unique city.
Sleeping amidst History.


Welcome to the history of La Ermita Suites


During the research phase, an important effort has been made in historical research and documentation regarding the buildings, and we are still working on the Caliphate period. The documentation found near the buildings is exhibited in different areas of the establishment and the intention is to complete it after the investigation to confirm if one of the buildings was erected on what was once the Caliphate school. However, the oldest document found so far is dated 1412.

In writing this historical dossier on the different uses made over the ages of the three buildings that now comprise La Ermita Suites, the following elements have been taken into consideration: reports, documents and publications by experts such as Mr. Manuel Nieto Cumplido, Mrs. María Yllescas Ortiz, Mr. Ángel Mª Ruiz Gálvez, and Mr. Antonio Monterroso Checa, to name but a few, and institutions such as Córdoba University, the Converted Jews Studies Laboratory, the Patricia Unit of Córdoba University, Unidad Patricia de la UCO, among others.

The following link provides access to a summary of that document which provides further information related to the history: DOWNLOAD HERE

The main events that took place over the centuries in relation to the uses of the three buildings that now comprise La Ermita Suites are listed in chronological order below:

1412. First document found on one of the buildings of La Ermita Suites: a contract donating the house and store to the Council of the Cathedral of Córdoba in exchange for the burial of the owners in the Mosque-Cathedral.
From 1412 on, when it was now owned by the Council of the Cathedral, the operation of the house-store was rented out to different owners.

1473. The house was burned down along with others in the historical centre during the riot against the converted Jews which took place that year, known as the Motín del Rastro.
NIETO CUMPLIDO, M "The revolt against the converts of Cordoba in 1473" Publications Ayto. de Montoro, 1977
1473. The house was rented out to the surgeon and converted Jew Gonzalo Sánchez, and it was attacked during said riot.
1473. After the Motín del Rastro, the house that had been rented out to the surgeon and converted Jew Gonzalo Sánchez remained vacant and was again rented out to the notary Miguel Vázquez de Ávila and his wife, Constanza Vázquez.

9-4-1682. Miraculous apparition of the Virgin Mary on the wall of St. Clare’s Convent, which is now the reception area of La Ermita Suites and the building by neighbours of a street altar opening onto the square.

28-6-1700. Application for a building permit to build the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception.
18-7-1700. Granting of the building permit to build the Chapel of the Conception.

18-11-1703. The first mass was held in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception.
“Since the chapel constructed with the permit in the Square of Abades has been completed and perfected, in the image of the Immaculate Conception which, for some time, was les properly erected on the same site, and since it was incorporated into that new chapel, after visiting the site, permission is hereby granted for mass to be held at the altar of that chapel. Córdoba, 17 November 1703”.
(Archive of the Bishopric. Box 1078. Chaplaincy of Bartolomé Romero Arévalo).

22-4-1712. Building of the vestry.
On 22 April 1712 Diego de la Rocha, Chaplain of the house and chapel of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, asked for an area to be set up as an office, pursuant to the testimony of the notary Roque Carrasquilla. This place would be located on the lower side of the house and would be used to store the floor matting and other fixtures of the house.
(Archive of the Bishopric.- Box 1078/02. Docket 202/1232. Chaplaincies 1700-1846).

24-9-1742. Creation of a Chaplaincy in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception by Bartolomé Romero y Arévalo, as set out in his Will.
(Historical Archive of the Province of Córdoba; Protocol of the Notary Public Antonio Ramírez, Proceeding no. 22, Year 1742, folios 580-587)

19-4-1752. Granting of the permit to build la Casa del Santero, the home of the hermit assigned to take care of the church, next to the chapel.

1857. During the period of the Bishopric of Juan Alfonso de Alburquerque Berión (1857-1874), the Chapel was closed and not used to worship, based on the allegation that the building was too small.
(Márquez, F. S.: Rincones de Córdoba con encanto, 2003).

1868. St. Clare’s Convent was returned to the outside world by the State, although its assets had already been seized in 1835. Following this decision, the large block occupied by the Convent was subjected to countless remodelling, dvision and plot segregation processes.
Plan of the 1870 former Convent of Santa Clara. Municipal Historical Archive of Córdoba, box 837, file 1.

20-2-1878. Inauguration of the New Cathedral Market.
Recreation of the new cathedral market
Daily price list for market stalls

16-8-1929. Construction of a house containing different types of dwellings by the architect Enrique Tienda Pesquero.
Facade of the house built by the architect Enrique Tienda Pesquero in August 1929.

2004. Purchase of the three properties and start of the project, La Ermita Suites.

27-5-2021. Inauguration of La Ermita Suites.
1412. First document found on one of the buildings of La Ermita Suites: a contract donating the house and store to the Council of the Cathedral of Córdoba in exchange for the burial of the owners in the Mosque-Cathedral.
From 1412 on, when it was now owned by the Council of the Cathedral, the operation of the house-store was rented out to different owners.
1473. The house was burned down along with others in the historical centre during the riot against the converted Jews which took place that year, known as the Motín del Rastro.
NIETO CUMPLIDO, M "The revolt against the converts of Cordoba in 1473" Publications Ayto. de Montoro, 1977
1473. The house was rented out to the surgeon and converted Jew Gonzalo Sánchez, and it was attacked during said riot.
1473. After the Motín del Rastro, the house that had been rented out to the surgeon and converted Jew Gonzalo Sánchez remained vacant and was again rented out to the notary Miguel Vázquez de Ávila and his wife, Constanza Vázquez.
9-4-1682. Miraculous apparition of the Virgin Mary on the wall of St. Clare’s Convent, which is now the reception area of La Ermita Suites and the building by neighbours of a street altar opening onto the square.
28-6-1700. Application for a building permit to build the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception.

18-7-1700. Granting of the building permit to build the Chapel of the Conception.
18-11-1703. The first mass was held in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception: “Since the chapel constructed with the permit in the Square of Abades has been completed and perfected, in the image of the Immaculate Conception which, for some time, was les properly erected on the same site, and since it was incorporated into that new chapel, after visiting the site, permission is hereby granted for mass to be held at the altar of that chapel. Córdoba, 17 November 1703”.
(Archive of the Bishopric. Box 1078. Chaplaincy of Bartolomé Romero Arévalo).

22-4-1712. Building of the vestry. On 22 April 1712 Diego de la Rocha, Chaplain of the house and chapel of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, asked for an area to be set up as an office, pursuant to the testimony of the notary Roque Carrasquilla. This place would be located on the lower side of the house and would be used to store the floor matting and other fixtures of the house.
(Archive of the Bishopric.- Box 1078/02. Docket 202/1232. Chaplaincies 1700-1846).

24-9-1742. Creation of a Chaplaincy in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception by Bartolomé Romero y Arévalo, as set out in his Will.
(Historical Archive of the Province of Córdoba; Protocol of the Notary Public Antonio Ramírez, Proceeding no. 22, Year 1742, folios 580-587)

19-4-1752. Granting of the permit to build la Casa del Santero, the home of the hermit assigned to take care of the church, next to the chapel.
1857. During the period of the Bishopric of Juan Alfonso de Alburquerque Berión (1857-1874), the Chapel was closed and not used to worship, based on the allegation that the building was too small.
(Márquez, F. S.: Rincones de Córdoba con encanto, 2003).

1868. St. Clare’s Convent was returned to the outside world by the State, although its assets had already been seized in 1835. Following this decision, the large block occupied by the Convent was subjected to countless remodelling, dvision and plot segregation processes.
Plan of the 1870 former Convent of Santa Clara. Municipal Historical Archive of Córdoba, box 837, file 1.
20-2-1878. Inauguration of the New Cathedral Market.
Recreation of the new cathedral market
Daily price list for market stalls
16-8-1929. Construction of a house containing different types of dwellings by the architect Enrique Tienda Pesquero.
Facade of the house built by the architect Enrique Tienda Pesquero in August 1929
2004. Purchase of the three properties and start of the project, La Ermita Suites.
27-5-2021. Inauguration of La Ermita Suites.